Don't panic. Foreign media tends to inflate the facts, the Japanese government tends to downplay them. That's quite normal. The truth is probably somewhere in between. At times of major natural disasters, it can be crucial to have accurate information. For this reason we reserve this page, and as much as we can, update this page and the front page with up to date information in case of a disaster event.
Useful links in case of an emergency
These links are only really useful when there is an onging natural disaster.
- Tons of useful info, easy to see, this link might be all you need.
- First-hand, accurate and most real info about quakes.
- Live news in English. Might only work in case of an emergency.
- Live news in Japanese. Might only work in case of an emergency.
If you are in Japan
- Install "yurekuru" iphone app for quake warnings, it's not very accurate but it might still help. After you install it, you also need to configure the location you would like to receive warnings for (e.g. the area you live or work).
- Install a radio application on your smart phone and make sure it works. In case of a disaster the radio can be useful because you can listen to it on the move. If internet is working, of course. A real radio is probably the best.
- Prepare an emergency backback with water, canned food, towel, light, matches, radio, batteries.
If you are not in Japan
- To find Japanese TV, look for USTREAM streams.